If your enquiry is of a general nature, the team here at Heritage Island will respond to you directly. If it is more appropriate for the attraction(s) to respond to you directly, we will request them to do so.
The museum’s permanent exhibition, Down Through Time, tells the story of 9000 years of human history in the County with over 1100 objects and documents exhibited in fascinating displays.
The early Christian heritage of the area is showcased in a new gallery, Raising the Cross in Down, which has the Downpatrick High Cross as its centrepiece. The restored cells capture the atmosphere of the old gaol.
- Restored 18th century prison cells with stories of individual prisoners
- The Downpatrick High Cross with accompanying display on the early Christian heritage of the area
- Early Christian and Medieval treasures
- Victorian and 20th century Down brought to life through fascinating displays
- The stories of 1798 and the 1803 rebellions
Open Year Round
Monday - Friday 10:00 - 17:00
Saturday - Sunday 13:00 - 17:00
St Patrick's Day (17 March) 10:00 - 18:00
Closed: December 24 to 31
Approx. visit duration: 90 minutes to 2 hours
Extra admission times: Available by arrangement
Admission is free
Other Useful Information
Free leaflets available in Irish, French, German, Spanish, Cantonese, Urdu, Hindi, Slovakian, Lithuanian and Portuguese. Free audio guides available in German, French, Spanish and Irish.
DINING / REFRESHMENTS
Tearoom serving lunches, snacks and hot drinks.
Gift shop selling books, local crafts, children’s items and jewellery.
Free car and coach parking located on the street, adjacent to the museum.
Fully accessible with accessible toilets.
Groups are catered for. No need to pre-book (except for guided tours).
NEW FOR GROUPS IN 2016!
- Discover Early Christian Down! New tour packages available for groups
- Discover the Old Gaol of Down! New tour packages available for groups
Located 22 miles from Belfast and 30 from Newry, the museum is situated on the Mall/English Street in the centre of Downpatrick, adjacent to the courthouse and nearby Down Cathedral.Down County Museum Nearby Attractions