If your enquiry is of a general nature, the team here at Heritage Island will respond to you directly. If it is more appropriate for the attraction(s) to respond to you directly, we will request them to do so.
Enjoy truly unique and amazing experiences.
Great Lighthouses of Ireland feature 12 lighthouses around Ireland's stunning coast. You can have the best stay and take a tour to the top of their towers with their storykeepers and guides at Fanad, Co Donegal; Loop Head, Co. Clare and Blackhead, Co. Antrim.
You can step back in time and hear the great tales at their oldest medieval lighthouse at Hook, Co. Wexford. Take the boat tour to Ballycotton Island and lighthouse, Co. Cork and see nature at its best at Rathlin West Lighthouse, Co. Antrim. You can also stay and have a wonderful escape at St. Johns Point, Co. Donegal; Galley Head, Co. Cork or St Johns, Co. Down and share your island experiences around the dinner table at Clare Island Lighthouse, Co. Mayo
Meet their Hosts and Guides who are passionate about these unique lighthouses. Hear their maritime stories and let them advise you on the best adventures each location offers.
At Great Lighthouses of Ireland you can experience their maritime and seafaring stories, or just take time out and stay "where land meets sea".
- Blackhead, Co. Antrim (accommodation)
- Rathlin West Light, Co. Antrim (visit March to September)
- Loop Head, Co. Clare (accommodation or visit Easter to September)
- Ballycotton, Co. Cork (visit year-round)
- Galley Head, Co. Cork (accommodation)
- Fanad Head, Co. Donegal (accommodation or visit year-round)
- St. John's Point, Co. Donegal (accommodation)
- St. John's Point, Co. Down (accommodation)
- Valentia Island, Co. Kerry (visit Easter to September)
- Clare Island, Co. Mayo (accommodation)
- Hook, Co. Wexford (visit year-round).
- Wicklow Head, Co. Wicklow (accommodation)
- Great Lighthouses of Ireland, a breath-taking all Island coastal experience
- Visitors get the chance to appreciate the spectacular natural world around them
- Discover the technology at work in lighthouses today
- Meet the people who are passionate about these unique places
- Visit or stay for a memorable and enriching experience
- All members are passionate about what they do and eager to encourage interest and curiosity about their lighthouses
Open Dates and Times
The Great Lighthouses of Ireland offer difference experiences. In some cases they offer the opportunity to stay in these unique locations; in other cases they offer the opportunity to visit and explore the lighthouses. In the listing above, we indicate whether the opportunity is to stay or to visit, or both. In the case of those that operate as a day visitor attraction, we indicate whether they are open year round, or are seasonal.
However, it's always best to check the opening times at GreatLighthouses.com and, via their website, the lighthouses of interest.
Great Lighthouses of Ireland website and social media sites are:
Accommodation rates and admission prices vary. It's always best to check the rates at the lighthouse of interest via the links on GreatLighthouses.com
Tours at visitor lighthouses range from €5 to €20 per person, including boat tours. Family, senior and group discounts are available.
Other Useful Information
DINING / REFRESHMENTS
It varies from lighthouse to lighthouse (that are open for day visits). Some facilities at Hook, Valentia and Rathlin.
Gift shops at Hook, Fanad and Rathlin.
Because of the nature of Lighthouses and their location, there are mobility restrictions at many of them.
Group rates are available at lighthouses open to day visitors.
ACCOLADES & AWARDS
- Finalist – Best Leisure Tourism Innovation, Irish Tourism Awards 2017
- Silver Award – Best Innovation in Responsible Tourism, Irish Responsible Tourism Awards 2016
- Short list Marine Tourism Award, Marine Industry Awards 2016
- Silver Award Brand Identity, Design Awards, IDI 2015
All the lighthouses are in remote locations, which is part of their uniqueness. For the best Wild Atlantic Way experience stop and tour their towers at the discovery points at Fanad, Loop Head and Valentia Island; hear the Ireland’s Ancient East story with Ballycotton Lighthouse Tours and hear about times past at Hook Lighthouse; walk the cliff path from Whitehead to Blackhead and visit the tower at Blackhead, Co. Antrim, or see the puffins arrive at Rathlin West Light by taking the ferry from Ballycastle.Great Lighthouses of Ireland Nearby Attractions