If your enquiry is of a general nature, the team here at Heritage Island will respond to you directly. If it is more appropriate for the attraction(s) to respond to you directly, we will request them to do so.
The collection spans over 400 years and includes letters and the long-lost cockade/hat badge belonging to Theobald Wolfe Tone; personal items from the leaders of the 1916 Rising; and autographed letters from Michael Collins, Dr Douglas Hyde, Charles Gavin Duffy, John Devoy, Michael Davitt and O'Donovan Rossa.
Jackie Clarke (1927 - 2000) was a Ballina businessman and a genius collector of Irish historical material. In 2005 his widow, Mrs Anne Clarke (1940 - 2015), gifted the collection to the people of Ballina, Mayo and Ireland in perpetuity, on condition that it remained in Ballina.
Other items in the collection include rare books, manuscripts, photographs, posters, Proclamations (two versions of the Irish Proclamation), legal papers, badges, pamphlets, handbills and art works of a political nature including signed lithographs of portraits of political leaders.
Visitors can also enjoy the Educational Heritage Walled Garden and Visitors’ Repository.
- 400 years of Irish history under one roof
- Items from the leaders of the 1916 Rising
- Two versions of the Irish Proclamation
- Rare books, photographs, art works and maps
- Heritage Walled Garden in the heart of Ballina town
Open Year Round
Tuesday to Saturday 10:00 - 17:00
(Extended opening hours may apply for special events)
Closed: Good Friday (March 25, 2016) and December 23 to January 2
Last admission: 1 hour before closing
Approx. visit duration: 90 minutes recommended
Admission is free
Other Useful Information
Free leaflets and site map available in English (Chinese and Latin paper guides may be available in the future). Audio guides available in English, French, Italian, Spanish and Irish at a cost of €4.00.
DINING / REFRESHMENTS
No dining facilities available on site but there is a picnic area in the Heritage Garden for visitors to bring their own snacks.
Gift shop selling souvenirs, gift items and Jackie Clarke Collection branded merchandise.
Car parking available off-site and free coach parking nearby.
Fully accessible with accessible toilets.
Free Wi-Fi available.
ACCOLADES & AWARDS
- Institute of Designers in Ireland Awards 2013 – Martello Media selected as a winner for their design of the Jackie Clarke Collection exhibition centre.
- National Heritage Week 2014 – Most Innovative Event
- Zurich Lama Award – National Impact Award
- Chambers Ireland Excellence in Local Government Awards 2010 – Supporting Tourism
- Dr John Igoe Award - 2015
Located in Ballina town, 40 minutes from Ireland West Airport and Westport, 45 minutes from Sligo and 90 minutes from Galway.The Jackie Clarke Collection Nearby Attractions