If your enquiry is of a general nature, the team here at Heritage Island will respond to you directly. If it is more appropriate for the attraction(s) to respond to you directly, we will request them to do so.
Located at the heart of Dublin city, Christ Church Cathedral is almost 1000 years old and was originally a Viking Church and is now an Anglican cathedral.
The history of Christ Church Cathedral reflects the history, both religious and political, of Ireland. The Cathedral Crypt is one of the largest in the UK and Ireland, dating back to the 12th century.
Music forms a very important part of cathedral life and the Choir traces its origins to 1493 with the founding of the choir school. The cathedral choir has always been highly regarded in Dublin’s musical life and took part in the first performance of Handel’s Messiah in Dublin in 1742. With the largest repertoire of any cathedral choir in the country, covering more than five centuries and including many works commissioned especially for it; it is comprised of 22 professional singers led by a full-time Director of Music, Ian Keatley.
The cathedral’s deployment of 19 bells, ranging in weight from a quarter of a ton to two and a quarter tons, represents a world record of numbers of bells available for full-circle ringing.
The restored 12th century crypt, one of the largest in Ireland or the UK, now houses the important Treasures of Christ Church exhibition, together with the superb video of the cathedral history by Louis Marcus. The exhibition features manuscripts and artefacts that give the visitor some impression of nearly one thousand years of worship in the cathedral and nearby churches. Outstanding among the rare church silver is the stunning royal plate given by King William III in 1697 as a thanksgiving for his victory at the battle of the Boyne. Also on display are the conserved tabernacle and the candlesticks used in 1689 under James II when the Latin rites were restored for a three-month period.
The Treasury also plays host to a rare 14th Century copy of the Magna Carta Hiberniae which is the centrepiece of an exhibition launched by the British Ambassador to Ireland in Ireland - think Robin Hood, Richard the Lionheart and King John.
- 1,000 years old
- Oldest working structure in Dublin
- Originally a Viking Church, it is now an iconic Anglican Cathedral
- The Cathedral crypt is one of the largest in UK and Ireland
- The Treasures of Christ Church Cathedral exhibition
- Rare 14th Century copy of the Magna Carta Hiberniae
- The famous Christ Church Cathedral Choir has 22 professional singers
- A year-round event programme
- A world record of numbers of bells available for full-circle ringing.
Open Year Round (note Tour Times below)
March & October
Monday - Saturday 09:30-18:00
Sunday 12:30 -15:15 and 16:30 -18:00
April to September
Monday - Saturday 09:30 -19:00
Sunday 12:30 -15:15 and16:30 -19:00
November to February
Monday - Saturday 09:30 -17:00
Sunday 12:30 -15:15
GUIDED TOURS - TIMES 2018
November - March
Monday to Friday: 12:10; 14:00; 15:00 and 16:00
Saturday: 14:00; 15:00 and 16:00
Sunday: No guided tours
April - October
Monday to Friday: 11:00; 12:10; 14:00;15:00 and 16:00
Saturday: 14:00; 15:00 and 16:00
Sunday: No guided tours
Closed: December 26
Last admission: 45 minutes before closing
Approx. visit duration: 40 to 60 minutes
Christ Church Cathedral Entrance and Self-Guided Tours
Adult: €7.00 (online €6.75)
Senior (aged 60+): €5.50
Student (with valid ID): €5.50
Child (aged 4-16): €2.50
Child (under 4): Free
Family (2 adults & 2 children, aged 4-16): €17.00
Christ Church Cathedral Entrance PLUS Monday to Saturday Guided Tours
Senior (aged 60+): €9.50
Student (with valid ID): €9.50
Child (aged 12-15): €6.50
Family (2 adults and 2 children aged 12-15): €29.00
SEE TOUR TIMES ABOVE
IMPORTANT: This tour includes a steep 86 step climb to the Belfry. It is not suited to children under the age of 12 years, or to visitors with mobility difficulties, heart or respiratory conditions, or expectant mothers. Valid for 365 days from date of purchase.
Important for groups of 10 or more people: Groups of 10 or more, who wish to avail of the tour, must contact Christ Church Cathedral directly to book a precise tour date and time.
Other Useful Information
Free printed leaflets available in 12 languages.
Gift Shop on-site with Cathedral souvenirs, religious merchandise, and hand-made jewellery from Irish designers.
EVENTS AT THE CATHEDRAL
Throughout the year, Christ Church Cathedral hosts a diverse range of events including concerts and recitals. The famous Christ Church Cathedral Choir also stage special concerts during the year. You can see the ever-changing events schedule on their website.
There is no parking available in the cathedral grounds. The nearest car park is Q-Park Christ Church - accessed from Werburgh Street, just across from the cathedral. Coach parking available nearby.
Partly wheelchair accessible. A ramp can be provided at their main welcome desk area to allow for wheelchair users, however in order to access the crypt visitors with wheelchair would have to go back outside the cathedral onto John’s Lane which is located at the back of our cathedral and access there. The Belfry includes a steep 86 step climb and is not suited to all ages or those with walking difficulties.
A private guided tour/belfry add-on must have a minimum of 15 people. Private tours are also possible for smaller groups - a minimum charge applies. The belfry can accommodate 24 visitors in total (including leaders/guides/teachers) plus a Christ Church Cathedral guide. Larger groups can be divided into 2 or more groups as required. Advance booking required.
Free Wi-Fi available.
TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence
Events, Meetings and Incentive Opportunitiesread more
Christ Church Cathedral is almost 1000 years old and was originally a Viking Church. The history of Christ Church Cathedral reflects the history, both religious and political, of Ireland. The Cathedral Crypt dates back to the late 11th century. It is the oldest building in continuous use in Dublin. Music forms a very important part of cathedral life. The Christ Church Cathedral Choir was founded in 1493. The choir is comprised of 22 professional singers led by a full-time Director of Music, Ian Keatley.
- Hiring the Cathedral: for Concerts, Choral Events and Recitals. The concert audience capacity is up to 525 visitors.
- Choral Recital and Aperitif in the Cathedral Nave: Experience the WOW that is Christ Church Cathedral after hours. Your exclusive evening begins in the nave where the cathedral choir will entertain guests with a repertoire tailored to the audience. The max for a concert in the nave is 525 visitors.Enjoy some delicious canapés and a pre-dinner drink while our expert guide welcomes the group, regaling them with tales and stories from the 1000 year old life of this building. Then, continue your evening downstairs in the crypt with seated dinner for up to 140 pax or fork buffet supper/reception for up to 200 pax. Dancing is permitted in the crypt.
- Crypt Only: Steeped in tradition, each event at Christ Church Cathedral Crypt is unique and we will work with you to ensure that your event is an evening to remember. With its stone walls and 11th century medieval interior, the Crypt offers an elegant setting for dinners, receptions, parties, product launches and events. The Crypt contains underfloor heating, air conditioning, and can accommodate up to 120 comfortably for a formal seated event, or up to 250 for a standing reception.
- Gala Dinner in the Nave: With its soaring ceilings, stunning floor tiles, magnificent stained glass and impressive gothic architecture, Christ Church Cathedral is a stunning venue for a prestigious Gala dinner. Incorporate the Cathedral Choir as part of the entertainment and make it an evening not soon forgotten. Irish artists who have also performed in this prestigious venue include Clannad and the Dubliners. Capacity is 320 pax banquet style.
- Music Room for Meetings, Drinks, Launches & Lunches: This beautiful room with its vaulted Irish oak ceiling was completely restored by master craftsmen in 2014. It has built-in projection and screen and can hold 100 pax theatre style. It is also suitable for lunches, drinks, receptions, and dinners. It can accommodate 80 for a formal dinner. There is a grand piano in this room as a permanent fixture. Please note that the Music Room is located on the first floor of the Chapter House and due to the limitations of this historic building, is only accessible by stairs, and dancing is not permitted.
Catering and AV Options: The Cathedral does have a list of pre-approved caterers and AV companies.
Contact Christ Church Cathedral for Venue Hire and Event Options. Tel +353 (0)1 677 8099 or
Christ Church cathedral is located in the heart of Dublin city centre and within walking distance of other major attractions such as Guinness Storehouse, Dublin Castle and Trinity College.Christ Church Cathedral Nearby Attractions
Best Ticket Prices
Buy 'Best Value' Tickets from Heritage Island's partner website.
Tickets valid for 365 days from purchase
No Booking Fees
and special rates for, seniors, students, children and families.
If you have a group enquiry for 10 or more people, you can contact us here.