If your enquiry is of a general nature, the team here at Heritage Island will respond to you directly. If it is more appropriate for the attraction(s) to respond to you directly, we will request them to do so.
Enjoy truly unique and amazing experiences.
Great Lighthouses of Ireland feature 14 lighthouse experiences around Ireland's stunning coast. You can have the best stay and take a tour to the top of their towers with their storykeepers and guides at Fanad, Co Donegal and Loop Head, Co. Clare.
You can step back in time and hear the great tales at their oldest medieval lighthouse at Hook, Co. Wexford. Take the boat tour to Ballycotton Island and lighthouse, Co. Cork. Take the Fastnet Boat Tour from Baltimore or Schull, Co. Cork. See nature at its best at Rathlin West Lighthouse, Co. Antrim, explore the site of a 17th Century Fort at Valentia Lighthouse, Co. Kerry. Walk the maritime mile and take a photo at The Great Light in Belfast's amazing Titanic Quarter. You can also stay and have a wonderful escape at St. Johns Point, Co. Donegal, Galley Head, Co. Cork, Blackhead Co. Antrim or St Johns, Co. Down and share your island experiences around the dinner table at Clare Island Lighthouse, Co. Mayo
Meet their Hosts and Guides who are passionate about these unique lighthouses. Hear their maritime stories and let them advise you on the best adventures each location offers.
Take the Fastnet Rock Boat Tour around one of our most iconic Lighthouses.
At Great Lighthouses of Ireland you can experience their maritime and seafaring stories, or just take time out and stay "where land meets sea".
Click here to download our brochure
- Blackhead, Co. Antrim (accommodation)
- Ballycotton, Co. Cork (visit year-round)
- Clare Island, Co. Mayo (accommodation)
- Fanad Head, Co. Donegal (accommodation or visit year-round)
- Fastnet Lighthouse, Co. Cork (Fastnet Rock Tour / no visit to the lighthouse)
- Galley Head, Co. Cork (accommodation)
- Hook, Co. Wexford (visit year-round)
- Loop Head, Co. Clare (accommodation or visit Easter to September)
- Rathlin West Light, Co. Antrim (visit March to September)
- St. John's Point, Co. Donegal (accommodation)
- St. John's Point, Co. Down (accommodation)
- Great Light, Co. Antrim (visit year-round)
- Valentia Island, Co. Kerry (visit Easter to September)
- Wicklow Head, Co. Wicklow (accommodation)
- Breath-taking coastal views at locations around the country
- Visitors get the chance to appreciate the marine wildlife in their habitats while seeing how the seas have shaped the coast line
- Discover the technology at work in lighthouses today and in days gone by
- Meet the lighthouse keepers and people who are passionate about these unique places
- Visit or stay for a memorable and unique experience
- All members are passionate about what they do and eager to encourage interest and curiosity about their lighthouses
Open Dates and Times
The Great Lighthouses of Ireland offer different experiences. In some cases they offer the opportunity to stay in these unique locations; in other cases they offer the opportunity to visit and explore the lighthouses. In the listing above, we indicate whether the opportunity is to stay or to visit, or both. In the case of those that operate as a day visitor attraction, we indicate whether they are open year round, or are seasonal.
However, it's always best to check the opening times at GreatLighthouses.com and, via their website, the lighthouses of interest.
Great Lighthouses of Ireland website and social media sites are:
Great Lighthouses of Ireland
T: +353 (0)86 838 5269
Accommodation rates and admission prices vary. It's always best to check the rates at the lighthouse of interest via the links on GreatLighthouses.com
Tours at visitor lighthouses range from €5 to €20 per person, including boat tours. Family, senior and group discounts are available.
Other Useful Information
DINING / REFRESHMENTS
It varies from lighthouse to lighthouse (that are open for day visits). Some facilities at Hook, Valentia and Rathlin.
Gift shops at Hook, Fanad and Rathlin.
Because of the nature of Lighthouses and their location, there are mobility restrictions at many of them.
Group rates are available at lighthouses open to day visitors.
ACCOLADES & AWARDS
- Finalist – Best Leisure Tourism Innovation, Irish Tourism Awards 2017
- Silver Award – Best Innovation in Responsible Tourism, Irish Responsible Tourism Awards 2016
- Short list Marine Tourism Award, Marine Industry Awards 2016
- Silver Award Brand Identity, Design Awards, IDI 2015
All the lighthouses are in remote locations, which is part of their uniqueness.
Fanad, Clare Island, Loop Head, St Johns Point (Co. Donegal) & Valentia Island Lighthouses can be found along the Wild Atlantic Way.
Ballycotton Island, Wicklow Head & Hook Lighthouse are located on Irelands Ancient East with Galley Head further along the Cork coast.
Up North you can visit Blackhead, Rathlin West Light and St Johns Point (Co Down) Lighthouses.Great Lighthouses of Ireland Nearby Attractions